Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Changing Our Speak

“If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all”

We have all heard it, we say it to ourselves, people say it to us – it’s one of the golden rules of communication.  However, is it a way of life we should be living – or should we aim for higher? 


How about finding something nice to say?

I remember as a child, if I got into a fight with my sister part of our discipline was saying something kind to one another.  This type A, opinionated, and stubborn child would struggle and resist the very thought of saying something nice to my sister who was so clearly wrong.  I'd eventually mutter something so I could move on with my life, but despite my attitude this exercise taught me to look for positive and uplifting words.  


This simple act - of finding something nice to say, is an attribute many people never obtain.  Recognizing the importance of encouraging words is so crucial to setting yourself apart and extending grace to those around you that desperately need it.


I know the words rolling out of my mouth have the power to cause a life changing impact - I pray I use that power to positively lift instead of tear down.


1 comment:

  1. This is so true! My mom also always used the phrase "kill with kindness."

    ReplyDelete