Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Before and After: Dining Room!

The dining room has been my "blah" room for awhile.  Awhile equaling, since we moved in; three years ago.   Empty cream colored walls, dark furniture, no color to break up the monotony, it's enough to drive a perfectionist mad!

We're blessed with a lovely bay window and a dining room large enough to fit a six-person table and a china hutch. I've just been completely uninspired when it comes to decorating this room.

So we have some unclad windows...


...plus a blank wall...


...and another blank wall...


What does one do with all of this blankness?

Why sure, buy a bunch of mismatched frames...


this will certainly fix the problem...


Now lay them out randomly, without thought or direction on top of newspaper...


and spray paint the ugly outta' them!


Starting to look promising, eh?

Well look at what some curtains did to this room!!


I bought the 2 patterned panels at Ikea for $60 and then I bought the brown panels at Wal-Mart for $10 each. The curtain rod cost $12, so all together, showcasing these windows cost me $92.  Not my most frugal makeover ever, but this room needed an eye catching face lift! In the spring/summer I plan on switching the brown panels out for a light blue or light green panels to lighten the room up.


I know it's the angle of this picture that makes the photo frame collage look so small, but it really does fill up the wall space nicely. If I find some other frames or decorative pieces to hang, I might rearrange these collages some, but I am content for now!


I put this quote above my windows almost a year ago.  This quote is what pulled the dining room together for me. I love entertaining and sharing meals with friends, so I really wanted to make my dining room about the people closest to us.  I chose pictures of friends and family, changed them all to sepia and framed them with frames I found at thrift stores. I paid less than $10 for all of the frames and the spray paint!




The quote says, 
"When we seek to bring out the best in others, we tend to bring out the best in ourselves."



CreativeShareWednesdays


center>

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo frame collages on the walls! Love the whole room, actually. lol

    I'm visiting from Frugality is Free Fantastic Frugal Fridays.

    Have a great weekend!

    Linda @ Linda's Lunacy
    http://www.lindaslunacy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love it. Plus the awesome thing about this type of decorating is that you can add to it whenever you get any more great photos! Make sure to write down the type of spraypaint you bought - I was always forgetting my paints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did to your frames.

    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I would like to invite you to this week’s The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete