Monday, March 12, 2012

Five Little Peppers

Did you read this book growing up?


Classic Starts: Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (Classic Starts Series)

It was one of my childhood favorites. I absolutely loved reading when I was a kid (still do) and I read Five Little Peppers and How They Grew several times.  This post isn't about a book though, it's about all different types of peppers with a few recipes thrown in for fun!

If you're anything like me, you buy bell peppers and maybe jalapenos and that's about where your "pepper knowledge" ends.  I'm all about experimenting with new ingredients though and apparently there are a few other peppers in the world.

A couple of years ago The Nest listed out six different types of peppers from "Hot" to "Mild"


Habanero
(Use in salsa and fruit based sauces)

Serrano
serano
(Great for spicing up chili con carne)

Cayenne
cayenne pepper
(Yummy with Cajun and Indian dishes)


Jalapeno
jalapeno
(Best on nachos, especially if pickled)

Anaheim
(Used to make chiles rellenos (stuffed chiles)


Poblano
Ancho Pepper
(Perfect for mole sauces)


Peppers are such an easy way to add flavor to foods without adding calories.  Here are some recipes!


2 comments:

  1. I loved that book.

    There is a store in Copenhagen dedicated entirely to different kinds of peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome! I just planted a ton of peppers in my garden. This will be so helpful. This is my first visit to your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete